When asked WHY herbs, my mind was immediately flooded with facts, and reasons why I choose herbs almost exclusively over modern pharmaceuticals. If I feel a tickle in my throat, I brew up a tea. If I get chills, body aches, and a runny nose, I’m on top of it with some herbs that will help me sweat out the toxins. If my knees feel achy or a little swollen, I apply a great topical remedy and fall back to our flag-ship product Zen-Alleve which is formulated with Turmeric several wonderful Chinese herbs and protolithic enzymes, all of which are inflammation-fighting and help to alleviate the pain. Then I might also take a soothing bath infused with essential oils to further administer my personal cures.
I have herbs stored in my kitchen likely more than most people have food; my pantry is filled with whole grains, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, beans, natural garlic, 3 kinds of rice, various pure oils, dried mushrooms, you see where I’m going with this. My life is centered on all things real and natural. This is just how I roll.
So, when posed with the question, “Why herbs?” I feel that the medicinal benefits are so infused in my bones that an objective answer seems a foreign concept. How could I separate myself from something that is so entwined within my every cell enough to report on it or build a company around it? I posed these questions to friends and colleagues to gain some perspective on the matter and was delighted by the enthusiastic replies.
- Herbal medicine works well with modern medicine. I think we can all agree on this, right? Complementary medicine is one of the fastest growing areas of modern healthcare and for good reason. It works. My herbalist friend and board member Stefanie Dwyer whom I have known for over 15 years, sees many patients, which I’m told had been previously diagnosed with a variety of health issues, get markedly better results when combining herbal formulas to a pharmaceutical protocol. Using “fu zheng” therapy for all kinds of people dealing with various ailments consistently showed marked improvement with recovery time.
- Herbal medicine has much less toxicity and fewer side effects than drugs. Statistically speaking, herbs are far safer than even properly prescribed drugs. Take the Opioid crisis of late, various doctors are prescribing medication that is affecting peoples lives, in a long-term way! As for Traditional Chinese Herbal Medicine specifically, any side effects experienced by the patient (usually bloating or digestive disturbances) merely indicate that the prescription needs minor adjustments to harmonize precisely with the patient’s personal constitution and digestive imbalances.
- Herbs are much more cost-effective in the short and long-term. In fact, some wild herbs are growing in your backyard right now for FREE! Growing your own herbs, wildcrafting the local weeds, purchasing herbs in bulk, buying remedies at a health food store, or getting particular herbs prescribed to you by a knowledgeable practitioner are still all less expensive than the cost of pharmaceutical drugs in the US. In the short term, herbs are far cheaper, and a long-term investment in your health by adopting herbal regimens, eating whole, organic foods, participating in physical activities and getting quality rest will very likely result in good health and fewer medical bills!
- Herbal medicine does not support industrial corporate profit-driven agendas. Big Pharma is the world's second-largest manufacturing industry after the arms industry and is comprised of approximately 200 pharmaceutical corporations. We only have to watch the latest news these days, see the National Crisis label that the White House gave the Opioid epidemic in 2017 to understand this. Deceptive advertising, the invention of new diseases, the renaming of old conditions, suppression of negative trials, false ghostwriting and countless other measures taken by these corporate giants ensure that public opinion supports their agenda. On the other hand, herbs are nature’s gift, which cannot be patented, and consequently, offer little financial incentive to potential shareholders.
- Growing herbs do not cause environmental devastation. Pharmaceuticals are to chemical agri-farming what plant medicines are to organic gardening. Ok, just “think” about that statement for a moment. Pharmaceuticals produce vast amounts of pollution; Drug factories pollute air and groundwater as well as alienating citizens of third world countries. The thousands of chemicals produced and released as by-products create a dangerous cocktail of deadly poisons that are then dispersed through the rain over large areas of the planet. Pharmaceuticals are inserting vast quantities of highly bioactive and toxic chemicals into the soil and water worldwide. However, a person or farmer that grows herbs organically can actually improve the soil and the ecosystem.
- The history of Herbal Medicine stretches back thousands of years and is the basis of all medicine practiced in the world today. The written history alone of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda is at least 3,000 years old and formed the foundations of many healing traditions throughout the world. Practical data gathered from hundreds upon hundreds of generations of herbal healers offers sound clinical information about the efficacy of natural prescriptions. By partaking in the rich lineage of botanical medicine, we are linked back to the wisdom of our ancestors.
- Knowledge of Herbal Medicine secures our future by teaching the next generation how to survive. I’m not trying to be an alarmist, but as the saying goes, “Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.” The learning and teaching for the art of living in harmony with nature, as our ancestors once did, will surely ensure the survival of our species. Ask yourself, if a catastrophe happens would you know how to find food and medicine in the wilderness?
- Healing one’s self with herbs is very satisfying and empowering. The knowledge and ability to alleviate yourself of countless common problems without ever stepping foot out of your own home really encourages a sense of self-sufficiency and self-confidence. It’s actually pretty easy to naturally combat fatigue, get better quality sleep, ease the pain, improve immunity, regulate menstrual cycles, adjust the bowels and thrive instead of simply survive. It is our own right to have autonomy over our own health; so don’t allow Big Pharma to take your money without learning how to take care of yourself first!
- Using botanical medicines gently enhances emotional well-being. Essential oils, herbs, homeopathic remedies, and flower essences all help to support emotional balance without suppressing the normal ebb and flow. When combined with a great acupuncturist or herbalist, i.e wise counsel, personal issues can be navigated with ease.
- Using natural remedies invites us to have a very personal relationship with our medicine. There is nothing more intimate or soul-soothing than planting, growing, tending, watering, harvesting and drying valuable plant medicines right from your own garden. Few activities can compare to hiking or biking along and recognizing the abundant varieties of wild medicinal plants with every sweeping glance. Our souls respond when we crush an aromatic leaf between thumb and forefinger and inhale deeply; it’s a sensation that goes right to the heart.
Every person is an integrated part of our ecosystem, whether we circulate blood or chlorophyll, we all have a life force and a love force. It is widely known that plants show emotional responses to external stimuli and modify their behaviors according to environmental alarms; all living beings are more alike than opposite. Herbs grow to adapt and adjust to their environment, and in the body, herbs are biodynamic and synergistic.
There are gentle herbs that anyone can utilize for a variety of complaints such as insomnia, anxiety, irritability, pain, digestive disorders, common pathogens, immune building and for beauty. There are much more powerful herbs that can treat more chronic ailments and even sophisticated Chinese herbal formulas that can address difficult to treat disorders and create balance in the body when used with wisdom, knowledge, and experience. Become empowered, wise, frugal, and healthier, while cultivating an intimate relationship between your deepest self and the rich, complex tapestry of our natural world. Use Herbs they are God’s gift to humanity!
From the Team at More Natural Healing